Shreveport Mayor Ollie Tyler announced Monday, May 21, that, pending city council approval, $1.2 million in funds from the Economic Development Administration would be appropriated to go toward constructing the 2.4-acre greenspace, The Common park! Construction will likely begin at the end of the summer of 2018, and 2 years of community planning formed the design of The Common community space.
- 2.4ACRE COMMUNITY GREENSPACE – Replaces broken concrete slabs with an UNcommon, artist-designed and programmed community space
- WALKING PATHS – .2 miles of paths meander through the park for exercise or a relaxing stroll
- SOFT GRASS – Nearly 1 acre of soft grass replaces concrete for picnics, outdoor concerts, yard games and more sustainable environment
- TREES – A canopy of indigenous trees provides shade, cleaner air, and a natural barrier from the traffic
- LOUISIANA GARDENS – 4,800 sf of landscaped flowerbeds and a nearby babbling brook create educational opportunities, attract butterflies, and beautify the area
- BIOSWALE – A 3-tank bioswale designed to capture and reuse rainwater for irrigation
- MISTER STATION – The first art structure in the park, offering a cool spot in hot weather
- Food Truck Court with Art Bosque Café – for Fresh food meals and concert “tailgates” in the shade
- UNCOMMON Programming – The City, along with SRAC, are committed to creating “stumble upon the fun” activities with concerts, arts, fitness programming and community events
- Secure and Maintained – The City is committed to securing and maintaining The Common; working with contractors to provide maintenance and working with local social service organizations to offer earned income opportunities
For more information, to make a donation, or to tour Shreveport Common call Wendy Benscoter, Shreveport Common Executive Director- (318) 673-6537, or Haley Deshautelle, Shreveport Common Neighborhood Liaison- (318) 673-6543. Or feel free to email us at email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.